Garfield teachers and some teachers from Orca K-8 have refused to administer the MAP test. MAP testing should end because:
- Teachers don’t know what the test covers and get no results back. The test has NO RELATION to what is being taught.
- SPS administrators admitted that the margin of error for the test is greater than expected gains. The test proves nothing.
- Ninth-graders cannot afford to lose classroom time.
- Scores are low because students don’t take the test seriously.
- Superintendent Maria Goodloe-Johnson was on the board of the corporation that sells the exam – a clear conflict of interest.
- No standardized test accurately reflects a student’s creativity and full potential.
What can YOU do?
- Tell your teachers, principal, PTSA, and Seattle Public School District staff and board that you oppose standardized testing in general and the MAP specifically
- Tell your teachers that you will support them if they refuse to give the MAP
- Opt your student out of the MAP. It is NOT REQUIRED
- Make copies of THIS FLYER and circulate at your school. (please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know what school you have covered)
- Let your teachers, family/guardians, and friends know you oppose the MAP
- After family discussions, refuse to take the MAP
- If you do not feel comfortable overtly refusing to take the test, ANSWER EVERY QUESTION ON THE MAP WITH A “C” for CREATIVITY. If enough students do this, it will invalidate their data, making it harder for them to use the test to control teachers and students.
- Unite with your colleagues and refuse to give the test.
- Tell other teachers that you will back them if there are retaliations against those refusing to give the test.
- If your ENTIRE staff does not refuse to give the test, consider having a PORTION of the staff refuse to give the test.
- Support students opting out or answering “C” for CREATIVITY.
STANDARDIZED TESTING KILLS CREATIVITY