The right wing says: because taxpayers put food on our table as teachers, you each get to be our bosses and you get to micromanage every minute of our time. If we care for your children in ways that appear inefficient, you can fire us. They would never tell the shareholders in a company that they get to directly manage production line staff, nor would they tell taxpayers that they get to directly manage the daily routine of the president or the joint chiefs of staff, who they also claim “work for the people”. In fact, they don’t think working class people should manage anything. But, curiously, they do tell white hetero men that they get to manage how their wives spend their time and how they raise their kids- “because they put food on their table”. Now, consider that the majority of teachers are women, and that we participate in the upbringing of children. Does anyone else see a pattern here?
- Cancer or Cure? A disruptive hooligan’s solution to incarceration
- “Mis palabras” – perspectives on police brutality by a young writer
- What if we renamed ADHD “cognitive nomadism”?
- Culturally incompetent cultural competence trainings
- MORE 4 MANN COALITION CHALLENGES SCHOOL DISTRICT’S BAN OF AFRICATOWN ARRESTEES
- Don’t deport our students; classrooms should be sanctuaries
- Zine version of Reading For Revolution
- Billions of Dreams, Not Billionaires’ Dreams
- Zapatista teacher dead, 15 seriously wounded in deadly Chiapas ambush
- Bringing the Trainwreck to Bill Gates’ Doorstep
- Cellphones in the classroom
- Is the right-wing attack on teachers sexist?
|silverpen123 on How to Overthrow the Illuminat…|
|Lyndall Riedel on Isolation Rooms in School…|
|A nation at-risk: A… on The Speech I Gave at the Youth…|
|freeuniverseity on “Mis palabras”…|
Ableism Class Commentary Event Flyers Gender Labor Literacy Mass Incarceration Organizing Strategies Parent / Family Organizing Race Revolution Self-Activity Solidarity Statements Standardized Testing Student Organizing Student writings Study Groups Teacher organizing Teacher writings Teaching Suggestions / Pedagogy Trauma and Healing Uncategorized What's happening in Seattle? Young Wisdom
"Achievement Gap" African American Longshore Coalition Africatown Africatown Community Innovation Center Anti-Bullying Anti-Capitalism Apartheid Black Liberation california prisons Caring work Central District citizenship class discussion Coaching Competition Consciousness Corporate Ed "Reform" courageous action criticisms of school current-events Deleuze education Feminism Freedom Writers Gabriel Prawl gang truce Garfield George Zimmerman High School Hip Hop Horace Mann hunger strike hunger strikers immigration immigration laws indigenous isolation rooms Jose Banda king 5 news la migra immigration Lesson Plan LGBTQ MAP test Marriage Equality media Mexico multi-racial unity music No New Juvie Nova Oakland Orca Pedagogy Philosophy Poetry politics Pride prison strike Protest Queer liberation Rainier Beach Rape Culture reading Rhizomes School to Prison Pipeline Self-education social studies teacher special education Standardized Testing Steubenville Trayvon Martin union utter absurdity white privilege youth prison