Billions of dreams, not billionaires’ dreams
Billions of plans, not billionaires’ plans
Billions of thoughts, not billionaires’ thoughts
Billions of gifts, not billionaires’ gifts
On Saturday, May 10, folks organized a “Gates Foundation Truth Squad” outside the Gates Foundation Visitor Center to engage with young people attending their “Teen Action Fair”. We engaged with a large number of attendees to support their volunteerism while asking their own questions about the role of wealth and power in Philanthropy.
Here is the content of a flyer that folks were handing out:
- Much of the Gates Foundation funds are in Berkshire Hathaway stock, which owns Burlington Northern Sante Fe (BNSF) and Canadian Railway (CN). BNSF and CN are now profiting from explosive tar sands oil trains. This expanded rail capacity will bring tar sands oil to Asian markets, even without Keystone XL.
- Gates Foundation has significant investments in the GEO Group, which operates the immigrant detention facility in Tacoma.
- Gates Foundation invests in G4S, a private security firm that operates detention camps in Palestine and has been accused of human rights abuses.
- The United Nations recently reported that small-scale, organic farming is the best way to eradicate hunger, yet the Gates Foundation continues to support GMOs and agro-business giants like Monsanto and Cargill.
- They preach nutrition, but invest billions in McDonald’s, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Burger King, etc.
- They preach support for the working poor, but invest billions in Walmart
- They preach about fighting climate change, but invest billions in fossil fuels like Exxon Mobile, Arch Coal, Peabody Coal, etc.
- Gates’ Measures of Effective Teaching (MET) project failed miserably at validating their preconceived belief that teacher effectiveness can be scientifically measured. (This study won the National Education Policy Center’s 2013 Bunkum Awards, recognizing lowlights in educational research).
- Gates has been a key driver of standardized testing, which is being rejected by parents and teachers nationwide. These standardized tests were originally created by the Eugenics movement in attempt to prove the ‘genetic superiority’ of whites and to apply assembly line models to classroom.
- Gates admitted their Small Schools Initiative produced “disappointing” results AFTER districts spent millions redesigning buildings based on Gates direction (eg, Cleveland HS).
- Gates brags about the quality of his own relevant and relationship-based education at Lakeside, yet pushes Common Core and treats schools as education factories to produce more workers.
- The Gates Foundation post-secondary program was severely criticized by the Chronicle of Higher Education for being “designed for maximum measurability, delivered increasingly through technology, and…narrowly focused on equipping students for short-term employability.”
- Why do they claim to fight climate change, yet profit from fossil fuels?
- Why do they profit from immigrant detention?
- Why do they profit from private prisons?
- Why do they profit from shipping tar sands oil to Asian markets via the rail lines it owns (via Berkshire Hathaway stock)?
- Why do they profit from Palestinian detention facilities?
- Why do they support GMOs when there is no long term data on possible negative health effects?
- Why do they support industrial agriculture when the UN claims it is less effective than small-scale, organic farms?
- Why do they push charter schools, when the results are often mediocre at best and fraudulent at worst?
- Why do they drive using test scores to determine teacher salaries? (even MSFT recently dropped the link between $ and employee ratings)
- Why do they want to replace college with online ‘worker training’?
- Why do they believe that the most important dimension of a human being is their contribution to the economy? (See the vision statement for their post-secondary education program)
- What is the proper role of wealth and power in Philanthropy? Does the Gates Foundation have too much influence, and does this distort research?
- Is the Gates Foundation only treating the SYMPTOMS of our inequitable system, but ignoring the fundamental CAUSE? Does the Gates Foundation benefit from and perpetuate injustices in the system
For more info, please check out this post from last month.